How to be a Patient Advocate
Booklet | August 16, 2023
A patient advocate, or support person, is someone who assists a patient in navigating the health care system.
Navigating the health care system can be confusing and tiring. Managing appointments, refilling prescriptions and getting to and from a clinic can be overwhelming for someone suffering from pain, fatigue, or other symptoms of illness. Having a patient advocate can make all the difference.
Download a Patient Advocate Guide
This Guide is a source of information for individuals who want to learn more about becoming a patient advocate.
Getting started as a patient advocate:
- Obtain consent
- Obtain medical records
- Keep a timeline of health care and treatments
- Keep track of medications
- Learn about and support patient rights
Some of the responsibilities of a patient advocate can include:
- Listening and taking notes at appointments
- Asking questions and clarifying information provided
- Arranging follow-up appointments after treatments or new medications, and more…