Update: The Green Party of Canada has sent us their submission, meaning we've received position statements on physician assisted dying from three of the four major federal parties.
Dying With Dignity Canada supporters across the country ask us every passing day: What are the official positions of the major federal parties on physician assisted dying?
- Related: Support for assisted dying is growing among Canadian voters: poll
- Act now: Pledge to participate in the federal consultation on assisted dying
- Help us find out your candidates' views on end-of-life choice
- Related: DWD Canada's 2015 Election Platform
So, after the election was called in early August, we reached out to the big players — the Conservatives, the Liberals, the NDP and the Greens — and asked them to provide us with a statement on their plans to respond to the Supreme Court’s February decision to strike down the Criminal Code ban on physician assisted dying. Here’s an excerpt of what we told them:
“For many of our supporters, particularly those in urban and suburban ridings, this is an issue that could be the deciding factor in how they cast their ballots this fall. We will be mobilizing our supporter base in the coming weeks to ask political candidates in their riding to take a pledge in support of the implementation of the letter and spirit of the Carter case. We will be publicizing the names of candidates who take the pledge and those who do not. We request that you provide us with a written policy statement outlining the your party’s on the implementation of physician assisted dying with regards to the Carter case for the right to die with dignity.”
So far, we’ve received responses from the Liberals, the NDP and now the Greens. We have yet to hear from the Conservatives. Of course, we’ll post the Tories' response if one is sent our way.
The statements, published in both official languages, are available for download below. We hope you find them helpful as you consider how to vote on October 19.
- Download the Green Party of Canada's position statement on physician assisted dying: English
- Download the Liberal Party of Canada's position statement on physician assisted dying: (English / French)
- Download the New Democratic Party's position statement on physician assisted dying: (English / French)