In February 2020, the federal government tabled Bill C-7 in response to Truchon v. Attorney General of Canada – a moment which brought hope to suffering Canadians who want access to MAID but have been excluded.
Under Bill C-7, those whose death is not reasonably foreseeable and those who have been assessed and approved for MAID but have lost capacity to consent (Audrey’s Amendment) would be eligible for medical assistance in dying.
On September 30, James Cowan, Helen Long, and Puneet Luthra from DWDC talked viewers through the major changes proposed in Bill C-7, the current status of legislation in parliament, the long-awaited parliamentary review of MAID, and what comes next. Attendees walked away from this webinar with a thorough understanding of MAID in Canada, and actionable steps they could take to advocate for timely changes.
- James Cowan, Chair, Board of Directors
- Helen Long, CEO
- Puneet Luthra, Director of Government & Stakeholder Relations
This panel was moderated by Kelsey Goforth, Support Program Manager at Dying With Dignity Canada.
For viewing subtitles in French:
- Click on the video to play, or open in YouTube in a separate window.
- At the bottom right of the screen is a block with CC in it. If you click on this icon, the Closed Captioning will be activated and a red line will appear under the CC icon.
- Next, you can change the language from the default English to French.
- Click on the gear icon just to the right of the CC icon.
- A list of choices will appear including Subtitles/CC. Click on this option and you will have a choice of 3 items.
- Choose "Auto-translate," then scroll down to find French in the list.