Call for Expression of Interest
Deadline for Applying – January 31st 2021
Dying With Dignity Canada is seeking to fill up to two positions for individuals to be part of its Board of Directors in 2021. Through advocacy, public education and personal support, Dying With Dignity Canada ensures Canadians have access to quality end-of-life choice and care.
In line with our mission, vision and values, Dying with Dignity Canada acknowledges that Canadians reflect a range of identities and lived experiences. In order to provide advocacy, education, and supports that are meaningful and appropriate, it is important to bring diverse voices to the table.
To ensure balance and diversity within the Board of Directors we are looking for specific areas of expertise and encourage expressions of interest from individuals who:
- Represent Central Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta), Quebec or Eastern Canada
- Members of equity-seeking communities (including racialized and First Nations, Inuit, and Métis, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions);
And who have skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Board/Governance Experience
- Funds Development/Granting Bodies
- Marketing & Communications
What are the Board’s responsibilities?
Board members are committed individuals willing to assume a leadership role in the governance of this national organization. Board members are responsible for:
- Providing leadership on issues related to the mission and vision of DWDC
- Setting strategic priorities
- Formulating governance policies
- Providing financial stewardship
- Monitoring organizational performance
- A two-year term
- Attend a minimum of three board meetings yearly, plus the Annual Meeting and Board retreat (currently all meetings are held virtually)
- Participate in at least one DWDC Committee
- Serve as an ambassador for DWDC
What is required for the Expression of Interest Process?
- A copy of your CV or resume
- A personal statement indicating why you would like to be considered for a position on the DWDC Board
- Two references
Note: to be eligible to be put forth as a candidate for DWDC’s 2021 Board election, one must:
- be at least 18 years old
- not have been declared incapable under the laws of a Canadian province or territory, or by a court in a jurisdiction outside Canada
- not be in bankrupt status
- be a DWDC member in good standing at least 30 days in advance of the time of the close of nominations and consent to be nominated
- have completed the expression of interest process
- consent to an interview if nomination is supported by the Governance Committee
- consent for bio and personal statement to be circulated to all members prior to the AGM
- complete a reference check and criminal records check per the DWDC Screening policy.
All submissions will be held in strict confidence and a confirmation of receipt will be issued within 24 hours. Consideration of all Expressions of Interest received will be given by the Governance Committee with a view to making a recommendation to the Members at the 2021 Annual Meeting.
Does this sound like you? If so, please send your expression of interest information electronically to DWDC Board Administrator Gayle McClelland at [email protected] or via post to be received no later than January 31 2021 to Dying with Dignity Canada, 500 – 1835 Yonge St. Toronto, Ontario, M4S 1X8.