May 30, 2023
MAID Panel: A Snapshot Today & the Potential for Tomorrow
Webinars | May 13, 2020
Canada is one of the few countries in the world where individuals can voice their choice at end of life. On May 6, 2020, DWDC hosted a webinar to reflect on how far we have come, and the opportunities that await us with the federal government’s amending legislation, Bill C-7, and the anticipated legislative review of MAID and palliative care.
This year is the 40th anniversary of Dying with Dignity Canada’s (DWDC) founding by Marilynne Seguin. To mark the occasion, DWDC’s Ottawa Chapter has worked with the national office and with dedicated volunteers in our community to create a panel discussion on MAID: A Snapshot Today & the Potential for Tomorrow.
Our panelists included a law professor with expertise in the fight for the right to life, liberty and security of the person, a family practitioner who transformed their practice to provide access to assessment and provision of MAID, and a supporter whose spouse received medical aid in dying last year.
– Daphne Gilbert, Associate Professor & Vice Dean Governance, University of Ottawa (click here for slides)
– Louise Linney, Family Practitioner & MAID Practitioner (click here for slides)
– Maury Prevost, DWDC supporter (click here for slide)
– Moderator: Susan Desjardins, DWDC Board Member & Ottawa Chapter Chair
For viewing subtitles in French:
- Click on the video to play, or open in YouTube in a separate window.
- At the bottom right of the screen is a block with CC in it. If you click on this icon, the Closed Captioning will be activated and a red line will appear under the CC icon.
- Next, you can change the language from the default English to French.
- Click on the gear icon just to the right of the CC icon.
- A list of choices will appear including Subtitles/CC. Click on this option and you will have a choice of 3 items.
- Choose “Auto-translate,” then scroll down to find French in the list.