Grief and medical assistance in dying (MAID)
Webinars | May 10, 2021
In this recorded webinar, DWDC was joined by three individuals with experience in the area of grief and MAID to answer the following questions:
- Is the grief experienced following a MAID death different than what is experienced when a death is unexpected?
- What are the common myths and misconceptions about grief and MAID?
- Sylvia Henshaw, a retired nurse, is a member of DWDC’s First Person Advocates’ Initiatives Council. Her husband, Douglas, accessed MAID in 2016. Since that time, Sylvia has frequently spoken and written about their experience.
- Dr. Jyothi Jayaraman is a Palliative Care Physician who has been a MAID provider and assessor since 2016. Dr. Jayaraman is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Family Practice and an Associate Member, Department of Medicine, Division of Palliative Care at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, B.C.
- Jamie Foley is a Certified Spiritual Care Practitioner (CASC) and Spiritual Care Coordinator based in Kitchener, Ontario. He is a registered psychotherapist (CRPO).