Dr. Trevor Byers is a family physician with Care of the Elderly training, working in Leduc, Alberta for the past 20 years. He has taken care of inpatients — both in and out of palliative care — and provides consultation services for geriatrics for the Leduc Beaumont Devon Primary Care Network. In his work, he frequently deals with issues around cognitive decline and capacity. Dr. Byers has been an assessor and provider for medical assistance in dying for the past three years.
On November 26 at 7:00 PM MST, Dr. Byers joined the Edmonton Chapter of Dying with Dignity Canada for a one-hour conversation on medical assistance in dying. Through a series of questions and answers, attendees gained a greater understanding of MAID from the perspective of the provider.
- Bradley Peter, Edmonton Chapter of Dying With Dignity Canada
- Carl Ulrich, Edmonton Chapter of Dying With Dignity Canada
- Dr. Trevor Byers, MD and Assistant Clinical Professor
For viewing subtitles in French:
- Click on the video to play, or open in YouTube in a separate window.
- At the bottom right of the screen is a block with CC in it. If you click on this icon, the Closed Captioning will be activated and a red line will appear under the CC icon.
- Next, you can change the language from the default English to French.
- Click on the gear icon just to the right of the CC icon.
- A list of choices will appear including Subtitles/CC. Click on this option and you will have a choice of 3 items.
- Choose "Auto-translate," then scroll down to find French in the list.