We claim the distinction of being the first Chapter formed in Canada. At a Dying With Dignity Canada workshop in April of 2012, John Warren, who was then Vice President of DWDC, urged Trish Remmers and Sigrid Wili to start a Chapter. We had our first meeting on May 22, 2012.
- Education through in-person events and, since COVID, virtual events on end-of-life choices
- Presentations and workshops in Advance Care Planning, Personal Directives and Goals of Care
- Presentations on MAID and how to access it in Alberta
- General presentations on end-of-life decisions and conversations.
- Independent Witnessing for initial Record of Request Form in Calgary zone
- Advocacy: Political advocacy regarding provincial actions around MAID provision; support for families regarding MAID provision; reaching out to media regarding MAID issues; writing articles and placing them in local newspapers
- Grief Support: one or two phone discussions (one of our key volunteers is experienced in this area)
- Medical Assistance in Dying - What You Need to Know
- Advance Care Planning - how to document your wishes for health care in the event of serious injury or illness