Find out what's happening where you live.
Type in your city, street address or postal code to find Dying With Dignity Canada events near you. If you want to host your own event or workshop, contact DWDC's Engagement, Education and Operations Officer Maureen Aslin at email@example.com for more information.
Advance Care Planning Month is upon us. To mark the occasion, Dying With Dignity Canada is holding an interactive April 24 webinar featuring two highly skilled DWDC volunteers who lead workshops on planning for end of life.
These two experts will reflect on their on-the-ground experience helping people plan their wishes for care at end of life. Topics that will be covered include how to start the conversation about your wishes, the resources that exist to help you make an ACP, and the most common questions they receive at their ACP workshops.
Speakers for this April 24 event will include:
- Susan Harrison, an ACP educator and independent-witness coordinator with DWDC’s Ottawa Chapter
- Connie Jorsvik, a former RN and current independent healthcare navigator and patient advocate in B.C.
Advance Care Planning is an opportunity to think about what matters most to you and what that means for your care choices, especially at end of life. Having conversations about end of life can be challenging but it is important for you and your loved ones. Join us on April 24 to learn more about Advance Care Planning and how it can make your life better.
Space is limited, so please RSVP today! Here are the details, including information on how to reserve your spot:
- Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2019
- Time: 12 p.m. Pacific/1 p.m. Mountain/2 p.m. Central/3 p.m. Eastern/4 p.m. Atlantic/4:30 p.m. Newfoundland
- Register using the following link: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/4297809931485159180
NOTE: Before the webinar takes place, you will be sent an email with information on how to log in. We encourage you to listen to the webinar using your computer audio. While a phone number is provided, please note that this is a local Toronto number and long-distance charges may apply. By listening through your computer, no charges will apply and you can participate fully in the conversation.
Can’t attend on April 24? A replay video will be made available on our Past Webinar page in the days after the presentation. Also, people who RSVP for the webinar using the instructions in this message will be emailed a link to the replay video shortly after the event.
Do you have a question for one of our speakers? To help ensure that we get to as many of them as possible, we ask that you email your questions to us at firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day on April 22.
Planning now is the best way to ensure you have the care you want and deserve when you can no longer speak for yourself. That’s why Dying With Dignity Canada’s Calgary Chapter is hosting an Advance Care Planning Workshop on Saturday, May 4 at the Kerby Centre.
This afternoon session will get you thinking about your wishes for end-of-life care and show you how to create a plan of your own. Learn about the importance of designating a substitute decision-maker, and discover how to approach sharing your plan with the people who may be responsible for carrying out your wishes for care.
- What: Advance Care Planning Workshop
- When: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. MT
- Where: Kerby Centre (Lecture Room), 1133 7th Avenue SW. Calgary
- Getting there: The Kerby Centre is located across from the Downtown West/Kerby CTrain station (Blue Line). Free parking is available by the north side of the LRT station. Accessible parking spaces for persons with disabilities are located on the east side of the Kerby Centre — just remember to register at the front desk.
An RSVP is necessary to attend the event, as space is limited. Please RSVP via email at email@example.com or call Maureen Aslin at 1-800-495-6156 ext. 24. We hope to see you there!
For the first time in four years, Dying With Dignity Canada's 2019 Annual General Meeting will take place in beautiful Vancouver, B.C. The AGM, DWDC’s first since reobtaining charitable status last fall, is scheduled for Sunday, May 26.
This is an opportunity for our members to meet the organization's board and staff and to cast your ballot in the board election. As always, you can expect exciting updates on DWDC’s efforts to empower Canadians to understand, defend and navigate their legal end-of-life rights.
To attend the AGM, you must be a DWDC member in good standing. To check on your membership status, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can sign up for or renew your annual membership on our website. You can RSVP on this page or by emailing us at email@example.com.
This year's AGM will be held at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown. The tentative order of events is as follows (all times in Pacific):
- 12:30 p.m. — Meet and mingle with board members and staff
- 1:00 p.m. — Official welcome, followed by a special keynote address (speaker to be announced)
- 2:15 p.m. — Official business of AGM, including DWDC’s Board election
More details about the AGM, including information on our keynote speaker, will be announced soon.