Some have called it the next flashpoint in the debate over end-of-life choice in Canada.
Advance requests for assisted dying have the support of eight in 10 Canadians. Yet, they are forbidden under federal law. As a result, many people diagnosed with conditions such as dementia, congestive heart failure or even brain cancer have been left to wonder whether their right to a peaceful death will be respected.
From left to right: London, Ont.'s Ron Posno; physician assistant and former journalist Maureen Taylor (photo by Justin Broadbent); and DWDC CEO Shanaaz Gokool.
What are the next steps on the path to restoring these people’s rights? That question will be the focus of a free-to-attend webinar on Tuesday, November 27 featuring three leading voices on the file. Our speakers include:
- Maureen Taylor, a physician assistant and former journalist who co-chaired a panel that provided recommendations to government on the future of assisted dying in Canada
- Ron Posno, a London, Ont. man with dementia who recently started a public campaign for the right to make an advance request for medical assistance in dying
- DWDC CEO Shanaaz Gokool, who will discuss the growing legacy of Halifax’s Audrey Parker and how her story has influenced the dialogue on advance requests
Space is limited, so please RSVP today! Here are the details, including information on how to reserve your spot:
- Time: 12 p.m. Pacific/1 p.m. Mountain/2 p.m. Central/3 p.m. Eastern/4 p.m. Atlantic/4:30 p.m. Newfoundland
- Register using the following link: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8278628060566400003
Can't make it on Tuesday? A recording will be made available in the days following the event. To access it, just sign up now for the webinar using the registration link on this page. You will be sent a message with a link to the recording.
NOTE: Before the webinar takes place, you will be sent an email with information on how to log in. We encourage you to listen to the webinar using your computer audio. While a phone number is provided, please note that this is a local Toronto number and long-distance charges may apply. By listening through your computer, no charges will apply and you can participate fully in the conversation.
Send in your questions by Nov. 23
Do you have a question for one of our speakers? To help ensure that we get to as many of them as possible, we ask that you email your questions to us at email@example.com by end of day on November 23.