The Victoria chapter formed in December 2015 to represent the interests of almost 1,000 Dying With Dignity Canada supporters on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Fact sheet: Resources for Vancouver Island residents looking for information on medical assistance in dying (PDF)
- Act now: Speak out for fair access to assisted dying on Vancouver Island
In February 2016, the chapter expanded its reach to all of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands’ 855+ DWDC supporters. It works closely with the long-established Salt Spring Island and Vancouver chapters.
Four volunteers lead the chapter:
- Ellen Agger (co-chair), formerly in the leadership of the Nova Scotia chapter and long-time DWDC member
- Jeffrey Brooks (co-chair), palliative care volunteer and busy DWDC supporter
- Adrian Fine, retired kidney specialist (clinician and researcher) who is also an active member of DWDC’s Physicians Advisory Council
- John Priddle, retired and an active member of DWDC’s Disability Advisory Council
They work with a core group of keen volunteers and welcome others to become involved in the chapter’s activities as they evolve.
The Victoria chapter’s current focus is on advocacy to ensure good access to physician-assisted dying in BC. As the chapter is located in the province’s capital and the seat of BC’s Parliament, its leadership hopes this will help them effectively educate and advocate for the rights of British Columbians to a death with dignity.
For more information and to become involved, contact email@example.com.
Please "Like" our Facebook page.
- MAID on the Island: October 1, 2016 information session in Victoria about access to assistance in dying on Vancouver Island
Recent media coverage:
April 19, 2016: Ellen Agger speaks to radio host Ian Jessop about Bill C-14.
April 14, 2016: Jeffrey Brooks speaks to radio host Joe Perkins about Bill C-14.
April 4, 2016: In response to the Times Colonist piece Transplants and Assisted Dying: A Family's Story, co-chair Jeffrey Brooks wrote about hospice patients having the option of assisted death.
March 9, 2016: Dr. Adrian Fine, Physicians Advisory Council and Victoria Chapter member, reflects on the B.C. College of Physicians and Surgeons’ recommendations and the lack of leadership on the part of the B.C. government.
Victoria's Laura Phelps: "Help me make my mom's protracted and horrific death meaningful":
An open letter to Parliament:
What's wrong with Bill C-14?
Laura Phelps speaks with Victoria's John Priddle about the problematic Bill C-14.