Check out the videos and recordings in the watch and listen sections as well as the following resources:
- Advance Care Planning Kits
- Advance Care Planning Kit - CanadaFree with membership - click on link above to join.
- Advance Care Planning Kit - Canada
- Podcasts, Presentations and Interviews
- Andre Picard interviewed on The AgendaSteve Paikin interviews Andre Picard on The Agenda on the subject of assisted death.
- Nagui Morcos on White Coat Black Art - 2011This is The Will to Die, the original, award winning interview with Nagui Morcos by Brian Goldman on White Coat Black Art.
Dr. Goldman says that this show has generated possibly the most mail and responses of any program he has run. This link will allow you to listen to the podcast and read Dr. Goldman's follow up commentary.
- Nagui Morcos White Coat Black Art - 2012 Part 1 of 2Dying With Dignity member and client with Huntington's Disease, Nagui Morcos, speaks to CBC radio host Dr. Brian Goldman about his decision to end his life when his quality of living is over.
- Nagui Morcos White Coat Black Art 2012 Part 2 of 2Nagui Morcos suffered grievously with Huntington Disease. In this final episode with Dr. Brian Goldman he talks about the decision to end his life. Brian also interviews Jan Crowley, Nagui's widow, and Meg Westley, DWD President.
- Quebec's doctors' support Euthanasia in limited circumstancesIn his program White Coat Black Art, CBC's Dr. Brian Goldman explores the position of the Quebec College of Physicians and Surgeons that euthanasia should be allowed in limited circumstances.
- Andre Picard interviewed on The Agenda
- Recommended Reading
- Library of Parliament Background Paper: Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide in Canada [PDF] - 436KBLibrary of Parliament Background Papers provide in-depth studies of policy issues. They are prepared by the Parliamentary Information and Research Service, which carries out research and provides analysis for parliamentarians and Senate and House of Commons committees. This Background Paper examines the issue of physician-assisted dying in Canada. It includes a historical and legal overview and examines relevant parliamentary action.
- Carter Decision [PDF] - 2058KBA big win for Gloria Taylor and co-plaintiffs - in this decision Justice Smith meticulously reviews the evidence and rules that the current laws are unconstitutional and medically-assisted dying should be legalized.
- Quebec Dying With Dignity Report [PDF] - 1936KBThe full report from the all-party committee of the Quebec National Assembly. Recommendations are wide ranging and include topics of palliative care, advanced care planning and end of life choice.
- 20 years on [PDF] - 3331KB20 years ago Patricia Gardner wrote that her cancer was killing her - but not quickly enough.
- Not to be Forgotten - Parliamentary Report [PDF] - 1780KBThis is the report prepared by the all-party parliamentary committee on palliative and compassionate care. While the report remains silent on the issue of the right to die, it does provide compelling information about the need for more palliative care resources (building capacity) and a national palliative care strategy.
- DWD Affidavit in support of BC Civil Liberties [PDF] - 145KBDying With Dignity Executive Director Wanda Morris makes a compelling case for the need to allow medically assisted dying in Canada.
- BC Civil Liberties Challenge [PDF] - 896KBHere is the full court challenge as filed by BC Civil Liberties.
- BC Civil Liberties Launches Court Challenge [PDF] - 150KBNot one but two! Court challenges that is.
BC Civil Liberties has now launched a court challenge against the laws prohibiting assisted dying in Canada. The case is being brought by four defendents, a couple who helped their parent travel to Switzerland to end her life, a doctor and BC Civil Liberties. Read the detailed press release for further information.
- Quebec's Consultation Document [PDF] - 769KBThe Quebec National Assembly recently held a province-wide discussion about dignity and dying. This, their consultation document, provides an excellent overview of the issues.
- The Contested Lessons of Euthanasia in the Netherlands [PDF] - 98KBJust because you repeat the lie doesn't make it the truth. In this article Jocelyn Downie looks at some of the supposed findings about the risks of introducing legal euthanasia based on the experience in the Netherlands. Very compelling reading for anyone who is committed to a reason and fact-based discussion of the issues.
- No Slippery Slope [PDF] - 81KBThis article was published in the peer reviewed, British Journal of Medical Ethics. It examines the data out of Oregon and the Netherlands and does not find evidence of abuse.
- Presentation to Parliamentary Committee on Campassionate and Palliative Care [PDF] - 803KBPresentation by Wanda Morris to Parliamentary Committee on Palliative and Compassionate Care. This document includes full submission plus detailed appendices.
- How We DieSherwin Newland's book provides information for those wanting to be clearly informed about end of life realities.
- The Morgentaler Effect [PDF] - 308KBWhat will it take to legalize choice in dying in Canada? Read this article from The Walrus for one writer's perspective.
- A Gentle DeathWritten by our first Executive Director, Marilyn Seguin this is a terrific place to start your reading about choice in dying.
- Dying JusticeThis book by Jocelyn Downie is the definitive book on the law and assisted dying in Canada.
- Rodriguez Redux [PDF] - 121KBThis is an update of Dying Justice. Click here to download the PDF.
- Easeful DeathThis book by Mary Warnock and Elizabeth MacDonald provides an excellent introduction to the issues in choice in dying.
- Library of Parliament Background Paper: Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide in Canada [PDF] - 436KB
- Recommended Websites
- Farewell Foundation for the Right to DieAlmost 20 years after Sue Rodriguez' challenge was denied another legal challenge has begun. The Farewell Foundation is seeking to overturn the section of Canada's criminal code that makes it illegal to render assistance to someone who wishes to end their life.
- Nidus Registry (BC)NIDUS is a BC not-for-profit that will hold your Advance Care Directive.
- Right To Die SocietyOur sister organization. The Right to Die Society is a Canadian not-for-profit that is also working towards choice in dying for Canadians.
Check out their website for interesting statistics and news.
- Farewell Foundation for the Right to Die