Find out what's happening where you live.
Type in your city, street address or postal code to find DWD Canada events near you. If you want to host your own event or workshop, contact DWD Canada's National Volunteer and Events Coordinator Kelsey Goforth at email@example.com for more information.
You all know, on February 6, 2015, the Supreme Court of Canada changed the course of history in this country by its unanimous decision in Carter vs. Canada that the Criminal Code ban on physician-assisted dying violated Canadians’ Charter rights.
So – How did we get there? And where are we going?
If you are a supporter of Dying With Dignity Canada but are not sure how this all came about, our presentation will provide a brief background on Dying With Dignity Canada and the movement that propelled the change in Canada to allow for medical assistance in dying. It will summarize what the legislation tells us, the process Alberta has adopted and what can still be accomplished.
Trish Remmers and Sigrid Wili- Co-coordinators of the Calgary Chapter of Dying With Dignity Canada
A Small Donation if possible would be appreciated to cover costs.
For 2017, Dying With Dignity Canada's Annual General Meeting returns to Toronto. Don't miss out on this opportunity to meet the organization's board and staff, cast your ballot in the board elections and learn more about what's ahead for the movement fighting to give all Canadians compassion and choice at end of life.
- Download the full agenda for DWDC's 2017 Annual General Meeting
- Meet the candidates for DWDC's 2017-2018 Board of Directors
DWDC has put together an updated agenda for the AGM, which will be held in the Gwen Liu Meeting Room of the Toronto Public Library’s Northern District branch (40 Orchard View Blvd., near the intersection of Yonge and Eglinton). Pay parking is available in a small lot next door to the library, and a larger, underground parking lot is located across the street.
The scheduled order of events is as follows:
• 1 p.m. — Meet and mingle with Board members and staff (refreshments available)
• 1:30 p.m. — Official welcome and keynote speeches by DWDC Board member and former senator Jim Cowan and Dr. Stefanie Green, co-founder and president of the Canadian Association of MAID Assessors and Providers.
• 2:45 p.m. — Official business of AGM, including DWDC’s Board elections
See the official notice of the AGM here.
Join us for this informative, interactive session on end-of-life choice and assisted dying on Vancouver Island. What is the law in Canada? What needs to change? How can you learn more?
- Shanaaz Gokool, CEO, Dying With Dignity Canada
- Dr. David Robertson, Co-chair, MAID Working Group, Island Health
Please RSVP on this page or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks to local volunteers for helping organize this event.
Please join us on June 17th for a look back at the first year of Medical Assistance In Dying legislation in Canada, with a specific emphasis on where we are at in Alberta.
1:30 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. – Registration
1:45 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. – Opening Remarks and Speaker Introductions – MC – June Churchill
2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Speaker Presentations
- Lise Lalonde, MAID Navigator for South and Central Alberta, Alberta Health Services – Overview of MAID in Alberta and current insights
- Jan Lackie – A personal story; Jan’s journey with her father
- Salimah Walji-Shivji, General Counsel & Chief Client Engagement Officer, AgeCare, Communities of Care and Wellness – Implementation of MAID as an end of life option into long term care; issues arising and helping patients and families prepare
3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. – Panel Discussion and Audience Q & A
3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Networking Reception
Parking: On-street parking is available around Memorial Park
The building is accessible.